Ton Schulten’s art is characterized by luminous colours.
Penetrating Ton Schulten’s visual world means peering into the soul and dreams of an unusual individual. He is a painter whose work is characterized by paradisiac, mosaic-like landscapes – typically atmospheric impressions of his native Twente, a region of the Netherlands – landscapes which bespeak a mystical longing for light and a quest for strength and harmony within the dimension of colour.
In a manner all his own, Schulten creates a new and poetic reality revealing both a lust for life and a hope for eternal happiness. The inner tranquility of Ton Schulten’s visions of a world of sublime peacefulness and happiness – a tranquility reflecting a cheerful gratitude toward life itself – contrasts radically with the hectic pace of contemporary life.
Ton Schulten’s art is characterized by luminous colours and the principle of simplification. With these paintings of his own unique world, he inspires while also conveying his positive approach to life.
Emotion and enchantment, the world in the eyes of Ton Schulten.
The colour, the glow and lustre, the shape and the experience. That is the world of Ton Schulten. Or perhaps: the world in the eyes of Ton Schulten.
His world, his way of thinking, his vision and quest are revealed in his paintings. The painter of Consensusism, with his lively imagination, his zest for life, talent and harmonic words, truly stands out in these surroundings.
Shapes, colours and compositions that make you feel like you are in paradise, provide a sense of tranquillity. Impressive and sometimes even hypnotic. Emotional and so beautifully composed, that no one can ignore the power and mystery of his work. Tom Schulten’s work warms the soul and its beauty is unequalled.
- 2022 Ton is featured exclusively in Spain with Artemis Global Art in Bénahavís, Malaga.
- 2014 Ton is featured exclusively in the USA with Artemis Global Art in Woodstock, VT.
- 2013 On April 25th, Ton’s 75th birthday, the new Ton Schulten Museum opens.
- 2012 Construction of the new Ton Schulten Museum begins. The German company, Koningliche Tettau, produces a line of porcelain dishes featuring Ton Schulten’s paintings of the four seasons.
- 2011 A sequel to The Promised Land (2002), titled Silent Strength, is published. A variety of pink dahlia is named in honor of Ton Schulten.
- 2010 Schoonhoven Ceramics produces signed, limited edition dishes featuring Ton’s paintings.
- 2009 His exhibition at the Keukenhof, The Netherlands is opened by Her Majesty, Queen Beatrix.
- 2008 Publication of two books with paintings by Ton Schulten and poems by Jannie Schoenmakers.
- 2007 A variety of red tulip is named for Ank Schulten in honor of her 65th birthday.
- 2006 Publication of the book, Live Your Passion, by Ford Nederland.
- 2005 The Ton Schulten Foundation is established to safeguard their legacy into the future.
- 2004 A German art critic dubs his unique style of painting, Consensusism, which is the visualization of the feeling of harmony, peace, and consensus.
An exhibition titled, “Peace and Harmony” is held in Berlin, Germany.
- 2003 Additional exhibitions are held in Atlanta, Georgia, Santa Monica, California, and Belgium.
- 2002 Ton is awarded a medal of Knighthood in the Order of Orange-Nassau.
A book, The Promised Land, is published with local writer and poet, Willem Wilmink.
2000 A meditation book, When the Day Breaks, is published with theologian, Jurjen Beumer.
An exhibition is held at The Artist’s House in Jerusalem.
Ton and Ank journey to Australia and fall under the spell of the colors ‘down under’.
- 1997 The Ton Schulten Museum is opened in Ootmarsum.
His first art book is published and a documentary about his life is released.
- 1994 In subsequent years, exhibitions of his work are held in Magdeburg, Dusseldorf, Bocholt, Oberhausen in Germany, Amsterdam, Florence and St.
Paul, Minnesota, Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1993 Their gallery is moved and renamed Chez-Moi Ton Schulten Galerie International.
- 1992 The landscape of his native Twente becomes Ton’s inspiration.
His work becomes more figurative, while not duplicating the countryside he sees.
His large canvases show a mosaic of fields and forests and imagined villages and houses.
- 1991 In January, he has his first foreign exhibition in Florence, Italy.
While on vacation in Tenerife, Ton and Ank are seriously injured in a car accident.
His experience of emerging from a coma serves as inspiration to his evolving style.
- 1990 Ton and his wife open their first art gallery called, Galerie Kerkplein in Ootmarsum.
It features a permanent exhibition of Ton’s work and rotating exhibits by other artists.
- 1989 Ton leaves S&O to focus on his painting, mostly abstract pictures with geometric shapes.
His later works are dominated by floral motifs.
- 1983 Jan Okkinga becomes a partner in the business, which becomes Schulten & Okkinga.
Due to their success, Ton cannot find enough time to paint.
- 1976 Ton starts his own advertising and design studio in Ootmarsum with wife, Ank.
He continues to paint and make collages from recycled materials.
- 1965 Marries Ank Lammerink.
- 1962 Graduates cum laude from AKI with a degree in graphic design and styling.
- 1961 Starts working at a leading advertising agency De Zuil in Enschende.
Ton enjoys the advertising work, but also continues to draw and paint in his free time.
- 1959 First exhibition of his drawings and watercolours at the V&D cafeteria.
- 1956 Begins attending evening classes at The Academy of Art and Industry (AKI).
- 1954 Seminary in Oudenbosch where he realizes he wants to pursue a more artistic path.
He is hired by the department store, Vroom & Dreesmann, as a window dresser.
- 1944 Primary and secondary education in Ootmarsum, followed by vocational training for window dressing.
His creativity is already evident, as he loves to draw and tinker.
- 1938 Born on April 25th in Ootmarsum, the Netherlands.
What our clients think
Ton Schulten creates works which do not imitate reality but, rather, depict a vision of a world of peaceful happiness.
In harmony with nature composed dreams gradually emerge from the darkness of night into reality.
Ton Schulten composes idealistic landscapes of exceptional luminosity.
His paintings evoke great emotional and mystical feelings.
Paintings with influences of cubism depicting forests, moors and maize fields with imaginative villages and towns.
Painter of Consensusism.